Friday, July 10, 2009

A Pasar Malam Experience

I took Damian to makan dinner at the local Pasar Malam (Night Market). He has been to the Pasar Malam , ummm, maybe 4 times in his entire life, so you can imagine that this is indeed a treat for him and he's eager to try some new stuffs.

We decided on Asam Laksa and some sinful fried chicken fillet with cinnamon and fresh chilli powder (yummy!) We have to share a table with this man (in his late 40s, maybe). He was eating his asam laksa quietly, he doesn't look like anyone you'd take notice of.

Immediately after his dinner, the man lighted a cigarette and literally blew smoke into our faces and food! Damian coughed and look meaningfully at me. I said to Damian, "It's all selfishness. The world would be a better place if we're not so selfish."

And to our shock, the smoker started yelling at us "What's wrong with me having a quiet smoke after my dinner? Can't I enjoy life?!!!!"

I stared back at him (coolly, I believe), "Of course you can enjoy life, but we have the right to breathe un pollutted air!"

He continued yelling, "Then drop dead! Your son can also drop dead! Hah! I was not disturbing anyone! I was just having a quiet dinner!"

Damian was obviously shaken. I whispered to him "It's ok. Just finish our dinner. When someone curse you, the curse will fall back on him."

And he continue shouting (yes, people were looking) "So what if the curse falls back on me? Hah! You don't like ciggarette smoke, don't come out of your house-la!"

I fixed my eyes on him and stared daggers at him. (Anyone who's familiar with the killing-look-of-a-mother will know what I'm talking about.) He immediately shut-up. He finished his ciggy and dialled someone on the phone and started yelling into it saying "If you don't pay up I'll just have to force you" (yar, like that kind of talk is going to scare me!)

I continued staring at him ... making him all flustered. Then we left, only after I slowly finish my asam laksa, all the while staring at him!

Damian was troubled by the whole incident. I explained that maybe that man had a real bad day, and is somewhat crazy, and the slightest provocation sets him off. Poor guy!

"What about him telling us to drop dead?" he asked

It's like this. If you throw a stone at a wall, what happens? It'll bounce back and hit the thrower, right? We are like the wall, protected by our strong faith and values, and no curse can touch us. We are children of God and Jesus is our Lord after all. Who can harm us?

Damian is more relieved after that.

1 comment:

  1. Aiyo, I would have had a shouting match with him if he did that to me!

    Anyway, hope Damian is ok. Poor boy, fourth time to the night market and he was already threatened!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails