Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Yee Sang and Wikipedia

One of my constant readers wants me to set the record straight. She cannot believe that the Chinese New Year 'Yee Sang' originates from Singapore as reported in : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusheng.
She went on to further inform me not to believe everything I read in wikipedia!

It did occur to me before that since anyone can contribute and edit anything on wikipedia, some jokers could have purposely mislead those seeking information on the WWW. (err.... my own son depended heavily on Wikipedia for his researches!!)

So... coming back to Yee Sang. According to many people this practice of tossing of the Yee Sang is relatively new and is a KL-Cantonese invention/practice. Which could be true, for I certainly can't remember having yee-sang when I was a kid [and I was a kid not too long ago! :-D ]

I tried searching the web about it. Can't find much relevant info. Most mentioned something about how raw fish was usually served on the 7th day of CNY to commemorate the goddess Nu Wa created humankind on the 7th day (RenRi) I didn't know that!
 
So... did the modern Yee Sang originates from Singapore as claimed by Wikipedia? Or the person who wrote that had no idea that this Yee Sang has long been enjoyed here in KL.
 
Anyway ... whoever created the Yee Sang  thank you!! I really love this dish, especially the one served at Aoyama Restaurant in Sri Hartamas. My Sis took us there several years ago, and since thn, it's been our yearly ritual to gather around the plate of delicious sashimi - Yee Sang style. Y-U-M-M-Y !!!!!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails