Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!!

It didn't feel like much, but we celebrated Mother's Day anyway because ... it was expected?

Got my maid to cooked some curry chicken and fried bee-hoon and took it over to Mother-in-law's house on Saturday. She has a fall a week ago, and hurt her back. Moving around isn't so easy for her. So we thought a simple celebration of home-cooked food should lift her spirits. I think it did.

My MIL is 84 years old. She's the kind of mom who gave everything, and expects nothing, and even when her kids wants to give back, she makes a big fuss out of it, and ends up making us feel unappreciated. Well, maybe after 15 years of me just brushing off her 'protestations' that she doesn't want anything, she gave up protesting. This time, she quietly accepted our gifts of food and angpows. Good improvement.

My mom - on the other hand - she doesn't demand too much - but we know she loves getting gifts from us - especially the monetary kind :-) I think this is healthier and makes for a happier dissposition. We kids, give what we can, and sometimes what we can't anyway! But then, how much time do we have? If we don't give now, then when?

I've heard it said before "No matter how your relationship with your parents was, you'll miss them when they're gone". I think it's true.

So, we had Mother's Day lunch at my Mom's - KFC, satay, a cake and some Haagen-Dazs ice-cream(!). Yummy! :-P

My kids gave me this :


See the card? It's a hint from the kids asking for another baby in the family!

And they did try their best to be on their best behaviour. Jeremy only cried once :-D

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails