Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"What's your favourite subject?"

Was supervising Jo and Jeremy while they're doing their homework.

Jo's doing Math (which she insist she does not like)
Jeremy's doing those tedious writing exercise again (where you've to write "Bapa" like 10,000 times!)

Suddenly Jo asked, "Mommy, what's your favourite subject in school when you were my age?"

Oh, what shall i say? Truth is - my favourite subject was 'RECESS'. The fun we used to have: chase someone and pull her hair until she cries, make someone give you a sweet she just bought, stare at SY until she offers you her delicious homemade peanut-butter sandwich (or was that AST?) or just run around like a mad-hatter!

Oh, but I digress... i can't very well tell my kids the above. I've an image to upkeep you know.

"So, Mommy, what's yr favourite subject?"

How could I tell them that I made the teachers cry because I call them names, refused to do my work and walked out of their boring class, only to be hauled back by my ear. Should I tell them that my English teacher Mrs C, always peg my book at the back of my pinafore with big red "TERRIBLE HANDWRITING" slashed across it, and I wore it triumphantly?

Hmmm.... i think we were in Std 4, and I scored a C in History because I copied! And I remember looking at SY's papers (she got an A, of course!) and there's this name - Alfonso D'Alburqueque - and I was green with envy because she could spell such a fantastic name.

I was 'lost' throughout my primary school years! The best I could do with Math is to memorise the 2 times table!

"Mommy!! What's your favourite subject?"

"Errr...... i think .... " (My mind working furiously on how to motivate her without giving away too much of my 'history')

Suddenly Jeremy piped in "I think Mommy is so old she cannot remember when she was in school!"

Ok... that's as good an answer as any! Thanks!


9 comments:

  1. Hey, to get the record right, I never had Peanut butter sandwich... must AST.. I never had pack bread for recess, for me the canteen is always my supplier ..:P

    I remembered Mrs C ... favourite ohase "Giddy Goat" but I have no recollection of Alfon D'Alburqueque ... hahaha ... seems so long ago ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good entry. Hahah...so funny. I was known as a BULLY to WSL during primary school. Me wor, how can rite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. cowie - I believe WSL. hahaha

    SY - Oh gosh! Yes, Giddy Goat! Now I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. funnyyy. very obvious who r the bullies here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha..the Big Bullies of CS ....
    MK, Mrs C was somehow related to u or something like that right? ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha... The Big bullies of CS 1 & CS 2 ... how interesting ...

    MK, Mrs C was somehow related to you, right? ..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina, I think you are really hilarious!! And you made my colleague laughed out loud again!! Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails